Sites dedicated to the WESTERN movies :
In French :
: an interesting personal site which evoques the early French
° Westerns movies : a french aficionados site and a forum. A rarity !
° Westernpoudrenoire : a french aficionados site and a forum dedicated to Westerns and Guns.
° Western Corsica : a corsican site dedicated to Guns and Westerns.
° Western mood and Les Héros de l'Ouest, 2 blogs ddedicated to serial westerns
° West and Western : a portal and more
Free game on line (mixture of FPS and RPG) in the Far West world. A must for any gringo on the web.
In Spanish :
° Imagenes de leyenda
° Territorio ranown
Books dedicated to the WESTERN genre :
In English :
- "Killing the Indian Maiden: Images of Native American Women in Film" by M. Elise Marubbio
- "John Ford Made Westerns: Filming the Legend in the Sound Era" by Gaylyn Studlar & Matthew Bernstein
- "West of Everything: The Inner Life of Westerns" by Jane Tompkins
- "Western Film Series of the Sound Era", by Michael R. Pitts, McFarland.
by Philip French, coll. Cinema One, S&W.
- "The Western,
an illustrated guide" by Allen Eyles, Zwemmer et Barnes.
films" by novelist Brian Garfield, Da Capo Publications.
- "The Western",
by Phil Hardy, coll. Aurum film Encyclopedia.
- "The BFI
companion to the Western", by Edward Buscombe, Andre Deutsch/BFI.
- "A pictorial
history of the Western film" by William K. Everson, Citadel
coll. Ian Allan Film Albums.
- "The Westerns,
a picture quizz book", by John Cocchi, Dover Publications.
- "The Six-Gun Mystique"
by John G. Cawelti, Bowling Green University Popular Press (1970 and 1999)
- "The cowboy's
trail guide to Westerns", by David Matuzak.
- "The movie book of the Western", by Ian Cameron et Douglas Pye, Studio Vista Publication.
- "Westerns and the Trail of Tradition: A Year-by-Year History 1929-1962"
by Barrie Hanfling, McFarland & Co Inc.
- "Westerns and American Culture, 1930-1955"
by R. Phillip Loy, McFarland & Co Inc.
- "Westerns in a Changing America, 1955-2000",
by R. Philip Loy, McFarland & Co Inc.
- "Westerns: Making the Man in Fiction and Film",
by Lee Clark Mitchell, University Of Chicago Press
- "Hollywood's West: The American Frontier in Film, Television, And History" by Peter C. Rollins (Editor) & John E. O'Connor (Editor)
- "Hollywood, Westerns and the 1930s, the lost trail" by Peter Stanfield
- "Saddle gals, a filmography of female players in B-Westerns of the sound era" by Steve Turner and Edgar H. Wyatt
- "John Ford made westerns : filming the legend in the sound era" by Gaylin Studlar and Matthew Bernstein
- "The Searchers" (Bfi Film Classics)
by Edward Buscombe
- "Stagecoach" (Bfi Film Classics)
by Edward Buscombe
- "Red River" (Bfi Film Classics)
by Suzanne Liandrat-Guigues
- "John Ford : The man and his films" by Tag Gallagher, University of California Prress (1986)
- "The Western films of John Ford" by J. A. Place, Scarecrow Press (1974)
- "Horizons West-Anthony West, Budd Boetticher, Sam Peckinpah : studies of authorship with the Western", by Jim Kitses, Thames & Hudson, London (1969)
- "Peckinpah: the Western films" by Paul Seydor, University of Illionis Press (1980)
- "The Crowded Prairie: American National Identity in the Hollywood Western (Cinema and Society)" by Michael Coyne
- "Western Movies (The movie treasury)", by
Walter C. Clapham, Octopus Bks. (1974)
- "The Invention of the Western Film : A Cultural History of the Genre's First Half Century (Genres in American Cinema S.)"
by Scott Simmon
- "The Western Genre"
by John Saunders
- "Westerns: Films through History" (AFI Film Readers)
by Janet Walker
- "Gunfighter Nation: The Myth of the Frontier in Twentieth-Century America"
by Richard Slotkin
- "The Western (Inside Film)"
by David Lusted
- - "Cinema southwest, an illustrated guide to the movies and their locations", by John A. Murray, Northland publishing.
- "Westerns of the Red Rock Country : 43 movies filmed in Sedona" by Bob Bradshaw
- "Where God put the West : movie making in the desert, from Moab to Monument Valley" by Bette Stanton, Moab to Monument Valley film commission (1994)
- "Movie making", booklet by Canyon country chronicles
- "Selling the Wild West ; Popular Western fiction, 1860-1960", by Christine Bold, Bloomington : Indiana University press
- "Western movies" by Don Graham and William P. Pilkington, University of New Mexico Press
- "The life and times of Western movie" by Jay Hyams, W. H. Smith (1983)
- "The Westerners: Interviews with Actors, Directors, Writers and Producers" by C. Courtney Joyner, McFarland Publishing
- "Universal-international Westerns, 1947-1963: The Complete Filmography", by Gene Blottner (2000)
- "Universal Sound Westerns, 1929-1946: The Complete Filmography", by Gene Blottner (2000)
- "A descriptive study of the network television Western during the seasons 1955-1963", by Donald H. Kirkley, Arno Press, New York (1979)
- "Winners of the West : the sagebrush heroes of the Silent Screen" by Kalton C. Lahue, Barnes and Co, New York (1970)
- "Showdown : confronting modern American in the Western film" by John H. Lenihan, University of Chicago Press (1980)
- "Heroes, Heavies and Sagebrush" by Arthur McClure and Ken D. Jones, Barnes and Co, New York (1972)
- "Westerns : making the man in fiction and film" by Lee Clark Mitchell, University of Chicago
- "Western films : an annotated critical bibliography" by Jack Nachbar, Garland, New York (1982)
- "The great western pictures" by James Robert Parrish and Michael R. Pitts, Scarecrow Prress (1982)
- "The Searchers" By Edward Buscombe, BFI Film Classics (2008)
- "Gunfighter nation : the myth of the Frontier in twentieth-century America" by Robert Sklar, Atheneum, New York (1992)
- "The western hero in Film and Legend" by Kent Ladd Steckmesser, University of Oklahoma Press (1965)
- "The filming of the West", by Jon Tuska, Doubleday New york (1976)
- "Six gun and society : a structural study of the Western" by Will Wright, University of California Press (1975)
- "The western hero in film and tehorizon
- levision : mass media mythology" by Rita Parks, UMI research Press
- "Once upon a time in the Italian West" by Richard Hughes
- "Spaghetti westerns : Cowboys and Europeans from Karl May to Sergio Leone" by Christopher Frayling, Routledge and Kegan, London (19871)
- "Any Gun Can Play: The Essential Guide to Euro-westerns", by
Kevin Grant, FAB Press (2011)
- "The rough guide to Westerns" by Paul Simpson, Rough Guides (2006)
- "The Encyclopedia of Westerns" (The Facts on File Film Reference Library) by Herb Fagen
- "Encyclopedia of Weird Westerns: Supernatural and Science Fiction Elements in Novels, Pulps, Comics, Films, Television and Games" by Paul Green, McFraland (2009)
- "Stagecoach to Tombstone: The Filmgoers' Guide to the Great Westerns" by Howard Hughes, I. B. Tauris (2012)
- "Western Movie Photographs and Autographs" by
Ken Owens, Schiffer Pub. (2012)
- "Best Western Movies: Winning Pictures, Favorite Films and Hollywood "B" Entries" by John Howard Reid, Lulu.com (2006)
- "The 100 Greatest Western Movies of All Time: Including Five You've Never Heard of" by
Douglas Brode, Two Dots Books (2011)
- "The Western Reader" by Jim Kitses and Gregg Rickman, Limelight (1998)
- "The Six Gun Mystique" by John G. Cawelti, Bowling Green University Popular Press (1980) (1984) and its sequel (1999)
- "Wild West Movies" by
Kim Newman, Bloomsbury Publishing (1990)
- "Movie Westerns: Hollywood Films the Wild, Wild West (Hollywood Classics)" by
John Howard Reid, Lulu (2010)
and for a more historical approach :
-"The Encyclopedia of Lawmen, Outlaws, and Gunfighters" by Leon Claire Metz, Facts on File books
In French :
- "Sentences et proverbes de Westerns : recueil de citations", by Gérard Sallé, Thélès ed. (2010).
- "80 grands succès du western", by
Pierre Tchernia & Jean-Claude Romer, Casterman ed.
- "Le western B, les années 1930-1939", by
Didier Lodieu, Ysec ed.
- "L'espace filmique : sur la piste des diligences", by
Odile Bächler, L'Harmattan ed.
- "Le western,
quand la légende devient réalité", by
Jean-Louis Leutrat, Gallimard ed.
- "CinémAction n° 86,
Western, que reste-t-il de nos amours?",
by Gérard Camy - C. Corlet
- "Le western, une histoire parallèle des Etats-Unis", by
William Bourton, PUF ed.
- "Histoire mondiale des westerns", by
Eric Leguèbe, Rocher ed.
- "Splendeur du western", by
Suzanne Liandrat-Guigues, Jean-Louis Leutrat, Rouge Profond ed.
- "Il était une fois… le western européen", by Jean-François Giré, Bazaar&Co ed.
- "Il était une fois en Italie... Les westerns de Sergio Leone", by
Christopher Frayling, La Martinière ed.
- "Sergio Leone, le jeu de l'Ouest", by
Oreste De Fornari, Gremese ed.
- "Le Western", by Gabriele Lucci (traduit de l'italien), coll. Guide des Arts, Hazan (2006).
- "Le Western", by Clélia Cohen, coll. "Les petites cahiers du Cinéma" (2006).
- "Le Western et ses mythes ", by Nicole Gotteri, Bernard Giovanangeli edition (2005).
- "Le souffle de l'Ouest", by Dominique Blattlin, Carnot ed. 2005 (french western posters from the very beginning...)
- "Le Western", collective work, Tel coll., Gallimard.
by Jean-Louis Lieutrat, Découvertes coll., Gallimard
- "Le Western"
by Jean-Louis Lieutrat, Prisme coll., Armand Colin.
- "La grande
aventure du Western" by Jean-Louis Rieupeyrout, 7e Art coll.,
- "Le Western",
work , Études
du Western", by G.-A. Astre and A.-P. Hoarau, Cinéma
Club coll. , Seghers
du Western", by J. Mauduy and G. Henriet, Nathan Université
- "Le Western",
par Patrick Brion, La Martinière edition
du Western", Pierre Bordas edition
- "50 ans de
Western" by Christian Bossuyt, PAC
Star and producer in "Alamo"
dans la poussière", by John R. Hamilton, Nathan Image
- Cinéma 62
- Cinéma 71
magazine, n°154 : "10 ans de western"
- "Le western
aujourd'hui", revue du Cinéma et du son n°258
et 260, april 1972
magazine, printed since 1972.
Sites dedicated to the CINEMA:
first thing first,
movie database for the moviebuff : more than 8800 films you can
sort and use offline on YOUR computer... (in French and English)
my third site about the movies, this one dedicated to the film noir, thriller, detective or gangster film genres, etc. FilmNoir is also a subset of my CINEFAN database (in French and English).
- about the Hollywood classics. and for the parisian amateurs, this unique shop :
- specialised in western americana (films, DVDs, objects, etc.).
encyclopedias on CD :
- Hallywell Film
Guide, which works also on a Psion S5 (exists under book format
- All Movie Guide, Corel,
- Cinemania, Microsoft.
Finally, in order
to change completely the atmosphere,
let's give a little push to the site I dedicated to my
touristical guidebooks to Greece (in French) :
another push to my group of Corsican Polyphonies
and to the site my friend Étienne
Barthomeuf dedicated to... some of his other friends :
Wayne in "Hondo"
my favorite western,
by Henry Hathaway :
And a bit of
as a last link...
: this site is a private one.
Photographs presented here come from my personal collection,
or from uncontrolled sources.
If some of them are used in an inappropriate manner, please
tell me so that I can take the appropriate mesures.